Friday, August 29, 2008

Social Networking

So I just joined facebook last week. What's that? You're saying. Yes. Last week. I joined facebook. And already it has gotten surreal. People have messaged me out of the blue. (I've done the same.) I've come across the profiles of people I forgot I knew and learned things about them I probably never would have learned otherwise. And I've probably spent a total of 20 minutes on the site. Well, ok, more than that. But what's up with this wall-writing business? And applications? Ok, I haven't gone on to check it all out yet. I just have to say I am already quite amused. But I don't know how seriously to take it. However, I am looking forward to possibly reconnecting, and staying connected to people through there. It has its drawbacks, but I think it is a useful tool, when used healthily. But above all, it is stalker software. And to me, it begs the question: Why stalker software that both enables and encourages invasions of privacy in this era of otherwise stalker-phobic personal privacy protection hysteria? That's what I'm wondering.

1 comment:

Moxie Parker said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrlSkU0TFLs