Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fashion Forward

I have a fashion prediction to make. I think that soon, very soon, the toga is going to come back in style. You think I'm kidding. But look at the way things are going. All these drapey, loose-fitting tops and dresses with big belt cinches and hanging off the shoulders. Pregnancy tunics. It's all about the gathering of the fabric around the body. It's not the tailoring anymore. Designers are still making straight-jackets, and of course the corset made a recent resurrection. But that's not the trend. The trend is flowing, gathered swaths of fabric.

And just look at our gladiator sandals. Hello, they're called gladiator sandals. Anyone for a day at the Coliseum? It's like old-fashioned reality TV.

Just you watch. If I were a betting man, I'd say Dolce and Gabbana, Belenciaga, and Christian Dior are all going to have some version of the toga on this fall's runways. And everybody else will follow. But I'm going to keep my pants on.

1 comment:

Moxie Parker said...

oh gawd. i hope you're wrong.