Sunday, August 17, 2008

Pulp Friction

I rented Pulp Fiction on Friday night, to make me feel better, which it did. I had this feeling like I should watch it again, since I hadn't seen it since 1996, at which point I didn't really get it, because I was a straight-edge High School student who was scared of pot. So I was even more taken aback by, oh, things like drugs, needles, bodies, thugs and gangsters. And I always wondered why everyone said it was such a good movie. Until Friday. And now I know. Because the writing is so amazing.

And maybe now, since, while I am no gangster, I have seen my fair share of shit go down, I can more fully appreciate the dramatic tensions and awkward situations in the story, as well as the intricacy of the plot and character relations and the real artistry with which it is all presented. It really is an excellent film, right from the opening line, the opening scene. And it holds itself together the whole way through, until the very end, where I found myself laughing out loud because, as the story clearly shows, gangsters are people, too.

No comments: