Monday, August 11, 2008

Bad Luck Month

I have heard that in Brazil, the entire month of August is considered bad luck. I have to say I might be getting on board with that.

If July was a month of exceedingly good luck, then August is just the opposite. What started off with a Marathon, and also what were, to me, great expectations, has quickly taken an unexpected turn for the not-too-pleasant. At least in some ways. Not that I believe what I get is what I "get," but in some ways it probably is.

Because I believe of course that we each make our own luck. Things just don't happen randomly, even when they seem to. Surely there is a lot that is out of your control, but I think a lot of the time, if you look closely you can see the connections. I realize I am being vague. That's because I don't feel like broadcasting all the dirty details.

But this has been a very challenging month, and it's only August 11th. That doesn't mean it is all bad, though. I had the Marathon. I came back from Europe. I'm looking for a job. I am planting the seeds right now for good things to come, but unfortunately, right now it sucks. Pardon my language.

I am lucky, however, because I have good friends to support me. And good friends, to me, mean everything. I don't think anybody can survive without friends. I know I can't. It's like the Beatles. I need my friends, and they make me want to try.

And, as always, even though "bad luck" seems to have arrived, it's not all bad. And maybe this bad situation is really an opportunity for a lot of good things to shine. I get to see my good friend from Boston. I find out I can call my ex-boyfriend from college at 4 a.m. if I need to, and he will respond, even if he is in Portland. And I am happy to discover, too, that I have a friend who supports me possibly more than my own family does. These are all great things. But that doesn't mean I like August.

Which is why, maybe in a few years, when I get a Visa, I'll be moving to Europe. Their government offices all shut down for the month of August, and 80% of the European Union takes a vacation. It's standard practice. Because they're onto it, too. They know. It's August. You don't mess with it. But that just means September gets better.

I cannot wait until Labor Day, let me tell you. I will be happy when this month is over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. August sucks big time. Am I the good friend from Boston? August 11th really sucked... I was feverish on an airplane all night. :( Miss you!!! ~Tess

Moxie Parker said...

gosh. i hadn't read this post yet. exactly exactly.

we sure have met for a reason, my august-hating sister. hang in there. only one more week to go.

TaylorM said...

And it continues to suck! (But I am laughing as I write this.) Yes, it's almost over...