Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Not so much on the Overalls

So here's my fashion comment for the day: Overalls - Not Sexy.

I don't care if they are teal-blue short-short coveralls. I don't care if they are skin-tight, low-slung in the back. Overalls are NOT SEXY. To me, they seem like about one step down from a cowl and a hassock. And everything about them screams non-sexy for a woman. It makes me cringe to see someone wearing them, at least with the intention of looking attractive. And I am talking mainly about women here. They are work-horse attire, which is really only sexy if you are on the job. They were not built at all with the female body in mind - they do horrible things to your hips. And think how much trouble you have to go through going to the bathroom? Why bother? And I don't know what guys think about them, but seriously, I wouldn't want to mess with that. Might as well wear a chastity belt. I imagine the CB would be less effective.

I did see one obviously style-informed woman wearing an overalls-like piece of clothing that actually was almost sexy - except for the fact that it was basically an overdone set of coveralls. And therefore, I said: No.

The only instances where overalls can be sexy are if you:

a) Actually ARE working a labor-intensive job (i.e. woodshop, etc.)

b) You just don't care

My advice would be, don't wear overalls if you actually even minutely THINK they might be sexy, because you will be wrong. Pure functionality? OK.

That's my advice for the day. Take it or leave it.

2 comments:

Moxie Parker said...

i love overalls. maybe i don't care.. but you just made me miss mine and think that's its time to bring them back into style.

i send pictures if it happens..

TaylorM said...

You go girl. I bet you can pull them off. You have my full approval. And that goes for pretty much anyone I know. Personal acquaintances are exempt.

But don't get me started on fusion pieces. You know, like where it looks like two shirts but it's really one? They remind me of Marshall's and bad flourescent lighting. But anyway...

Yes, do send pictures!