Sunday, August 24, 2008

Alien Invasion

I had the weirdest dream last night that I think I have ever had. I dreamed that the world - or at least San Francisco - was being invaded by aliens. Literally. And I even had the music going on, just like in the movies and whatnot, and there was like this news announcer's voice going in my head that said things like, "...and 40 million people will have tiny chips implanted in their brains, and..." And, see it was weird, because it interrupted a totally normally weird dream. You know what I mean. You have weird dreams, and that's fine, because your brain is processing all kinds of information, so that's okay. But here I was in my dream, and my friends were dropping hints, like, okay, something weird is about to happen. And I didn't believe them (in my dream), because I thought they meant something normal weird, like I'm going to find my sock in this box, but it's going to have a purple heart pin, and that means my teddy bear is really my uncle. I'm just making that up. But in my dream, I really was looking for something in a box, something which belonged to a friend, and I went off to go do this alone on like Dolores Avenue, with the palm trees, and then there was the music. And the giant blue creature spaceships, popping out of nowhere - they were like the loading cranes at West Oakland port, and the giant walking robots from Star Wars, but ten times larger, and more sinister. And they were spewing these little tiny lights that were flying through the air. And you couldn't get away from them. I got one in my hand, and I felt a little twinge, so I knew they'd got me. And I was going to be one of "them." That's when I woke up. And my room at that point seemed really frighteningly normal. I have to say I was taken off guard. Because I don't usually think about alien invasion. Or if I do, I pretty much think it's a silly idea. I used to watch the X-files, but now I don't, because I find it basically creepy, and not in a good way. And I always just watched it for amusement, not because I "believed." If anything, I believe it's not going to happen. And I also don't go in much for horror flicks. So why the scary dream? I don't know. Maybe we are all about to be invaded by aliens and we're all just sitting around, blithely unaware while I have this prophetic dream. Maybe it has to do with soaring gas prices or the state of world politics in Israel. Maybe I shouldn't take Ibuprofen before going to sleep...

2 comments:

Moxie Parker said...

During my first year in California (Santa Cruz), I spent a lot of time on the road between San Jose and the Bay Area. I still remember a dream I had where an endless spiral of freeways circled into the night sky above a haze of city lights -- and some kind of giant sea creatures were biting chunks of concrete out of the road as people and cars were screaming to escape.

I woke up (barely), walked into the living room where two of my roommates were still awake and told them "i just dreamed that the apocalypse is here."

Then i think i turned around and went back to sleep.

TaylorM said...

Wow, that's crazy. Did you also get sick after that dream?