Saturday, July 5, 2008

French Things

I find it quite fascinating that women here actually do wear their hair in a "French twist." But I guess here, it's not really a "French" twist, it's just "the way they wear their hair." And they are quite good at it. Whether they are young women or old ladies, they are expert at sweeping the hair up into a smooth vortex of decorative protein, held immobile as a fortress by either one elaborate clip, or else a series of neatly placed pins. But they never look like they are trying too hard. It's very natural.

I don't know why it should seem unusual. I guess when things are exotic from a distance, they are just normal, the closer you get to them.

Like French windows. We had so-called French windows in my childhood bedroom. But here, they are just the windows on every old house building.

I like being in France.

No comments: