Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Caveat

I have to add a caveat to Project Moving to San Francisco, kind of like some people don't say they are going to go anywhere or doing anything without qualifying it with “God willing.” Or if you are writing an obituary, you can’t print, “Memorial services will be at” such-and-such a time and place, because what if a hurricane blows in and knocks down the church? You say services are “scheduled for…”

So I just have to acknowledge that there is always the possibility that I won’t go to San Francisco. Like John Lennon said, Life is what happens while you are making other plans. Maybe that's me. I don’t plan to stay in Boston, but here I am, and maybe I will end up going to some other city. Who knows?

I guess what this project is about is discovering where I am going to go. I have San Francisco in mind, and maybe that’s the place. Maybe I will discover that it’s not. In either event, I think it’s the process that will prove to be most useful. And anyway, the process is the part you live.

No comments: