Wednesday, September 5, 2007

NYC Fashion Week watch out!

Okay, I have to go to kickboxing class soon, and my mom is chopping vegetables in the next room, but exciting things are happening!

I called the Academy of Art University of San Francisco today.

Background: several years ago, in college, and afterward, I had considered pursuing a graduate degree in Fashion Design at the AAU. For whatever reason, however, I didn’t. I think I basically convinced myself that I didn’t have a good or complete enough portfolio or enough experience or whatever kind of BS I was telling myself.

Fast forward a few years: I’m studying journalism at BU, and my sister, having no knowledge whatsoever of my ever having been interested in the AAU, applies and is accepted to their Film Studies program. I’m thrilled, because I think directing films would suit her perfectly, and it would give her the chance to get out of our parents’ house. I still never mentioned to her that I ever had notions of going there.

But my little sister will not be a film director. She died last February.

So now that I’m pretty much done with J-school, and am working on this San Francisco thing, I am also considering taking up some more study of fashion design. Do I want to be a fashion designer? Maybe I do. I mean, I still want to write, of course – that’s why I went to grad school for it. But I think I just have to face up to the fact that I’ve always been a little obsessed with clothes. I studied art and fashion in college. I did costumes for theatre. It all somehow made sense. What if I am missing my true calling?? Oh, it’s so dramatic. Anyway, I just want to check it out and see what it’s like. Who knows what will happen.

So over the weekend, my family had a barbecue, and my mom mentioned in passing that the Admissions guy at AAU that my sister had dealt with was very sympathetic and had asked my mother if there was anything he could do for the family. Well, I kind of thought of something….

So I called him. I explained how I had wanted to go to the AAU before, although my sister didn't know it, and how I am planning right now to move to SF. I also told him about my background and experience with art and fashion, and he seemed pretty pleased, and said he’d email me with some ideas right away. Then he pulled some strings and got me tickets to the sold-out AAU runway show in NYC for Saturday. Okay, stay calm. You are very cool. Cool as a cucumber, yes... Ahh!

Okay, fine, I am not cool. I was literally jumping up and down in my room after I got off the phone. New York Fashion week! And I’m going to San Francisco!

Okay, I have to go to kickboxing now and use up some of this good energy. Whee!

No comments: