Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ocean view

So the new place I am staying in has a beautiful view of the ocean from the kitchen window. I said hello to it this morning when I took a walk down there and observed some Chinese fishermen. I was wondering what kind of fish would be out there in that kind of surf, but maybe something. And I watched little troops of snowy plovers playing with the surf. They would all go down in a bunch to just where the foam was hitting the sand, and then run back up as the water chased them. They couldn’t have been doing it for food, because even if they were looking for it, they obviously weren’t going to be eating when the water was chasing them, and there was plenty of space for them to graze without encountering incoming waves. So they must have been doing it just for fun. And it was funny to watch them on their little legs. It was a pretty good day today all together. I got my laundry done, for one thing. You have no idea what a luxury it is to hang your shirts until you have gone without it for a month.

No comments: