Wednesday, October 1, 2008

New Job

All's well that ends well. The darkest hour comes before the dawn. Why do these platitudes have to apply to my life? Why I can't I just live normally, without all these ups and downs and ridiculous interruptions to what it is I am trying to get done?

Why the drama??

I guess I'm used to it. When you come from a family that can't go out to dinner without some kind of dramatic sequence, I suppose it becomes part of your life pattern. I might even go looking for drama where there isn't any, which is stupid, because I actually hate drama. I was always the one calming everyone else down. I was always above the fray. And now it's like people keep fraying my ends, and I've about had enough.

So I have to promise myself this year, NO DRAMA.

Right. Like that will happen. Because even if I'm not dramatic, it seems like everyone else is. Sigh. But what I find really ridiculous is how everyone hates drama in their own lives, but they regularly engage in it, and love watching it on TV. I guess that's not so surprising. We've all got morbid attraction.

As for me, well, my story is not over yet. But at least things are "looking up," as they say.

I have a new job. I have a place to live and a very sane landlord, and nice neighbors. August was pretty rough, but I figure it's worth it sometimes to go through a bad spot to find the good thing at the end that was worth waiting for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

miss you! xoxo ~tess

Moxie Parker said...

What if instead of committing to NO DRAMA, we resolved to have life FULL OF DRAMA!! That way instead of feeling disappointed by the inevitable, we could feel like we've succeeded in fulfilling a goal. THe rest of life would just seem so mundane... :)

It was so lovely seeing recently. Here's to bi-coastal friendship!

TaylorM said...

You know what - maybe I like your formulation a little bit better. It's stressful to think of having no drama ever again. I like drama! Well, I like good drama. I don't like bad drama. But who does? I think that's it. It's not the thing itself that's evil, it's how you use it. Good point. Here's to drama! Yay, filling goals! Yay, friendship! Thanks for that.